Temperature Monitor for SSD and HD

Discussions about fan speeds, their effects on temperatures and how to tune your setup for best noise/cooling balance.

Moderators: Fordy, mrochester, Skippy

Temperature Monitor for SSD and HD

Postby paultrotter50 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi,

My Questions:
1. Should I be alarmed at how hot the SSD appears to be after standby, or write it up to a monitoring glitch?
2. Is there a free hard disk temperature monitor that works well with SSDs?

Background:
In trying to quieten my PC I swapped my fast 7200 RPM hard disk, for 2 solid state drives (one for the OS and the other for programs) and a quite 5400 RPM disk for my programs. I love the speed and lack of writing to disk noises.

However the front fan was still producing a lot of noise, so I swapped both front and back fans to Scythe Gentle Typhoons (120mm 1450 RPM) However the front fan was still very noisy. I figured this is because it is running way faster than needed.

To slow it down, and quieten it I have decided to fit a Zalman fanmate 2. However I need to know the operating temperatures of the drives, to know how much I can slow the fan by. I installed the free CrystalDiskInfo 3.9.3 to monitor the drive temperatures. The average temperature for my HD is 21 degrees, and a chilly 1 degree for the 3.5" SSD. Unfortunately it does not recognise the 2.5" SSD. In addition when I wake the computer up from standby the 3.5" SSD often reads a crazy temperature like 55 or 60 degrees, however when I refresh it instantly drops back to 1 degree.

Thank you for considering my questions,

Kind regards,

Paul

Drives:
OCZ Agility 2 SATA II 3.5 INCH Solid State Drive 120GB
Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA
Samsung Spinpoint HD154UI ECO Green F2 1 1.5TB 5400 RPM
Last edited by paultrotter50 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paultrotter50

Re: Temperature Monitor for SSD and HD

Postby paultrotter50 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 pm

I found an answer to my question on the crucial forum. It says that the temperature monitoring programs often give incorrect readings for SSD 'cos they are not configured for them. It says that because of no moving parts SSDs shouldn't run at all hot. See http://www.forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/My-C300-128GB-runs-at-128c/m-p/14817#M5750 for more info.

So I'm going to disable the SSD from the temperature monitor and adjust my fan speed solely based on the temperature of my hard disk.

Hope this helps someone else.
paultrotter50

Re: Temperature Monitor for SSD and HD

Postby Banana Jack » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for the question and your reply! SSD devices can run hot but isn't necessarily anything to worry about. You could try touching the SSD to see if its temperature correlates to the software reading. If you can't hold your hand on it because it's too hot, then it's probably running in excess of 60 degrees C. Anyway, like I think you have concluded yourself, I don't think you will have anything to be concerned about.
Banana Jack

Return to Fan and temperature monitoring / controlling